Company History

Goodville Mutual was founded in 1926 by a small group of Mennonite men who were aware of the growing need for automobile insurance in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. They created a company on the principle of bearing one another's burdens. Although this vision reflected the Anabaptist beliefs of service and mutual aid, it was agreed that the company would serve the wider community.

Since 1926, Goodville Mutual has enjoyed growth and stability and has expanded to include coverage for homes, small businesses, farms and churches in eight states. With strong support from professional independent agents who have been the cornerstone of our success, Goodville Mutual currently has annual revenues exceeding $144 million with assets exceeding $281 million.

Goodville Mutual is rated A VIII (Excellent) by A.M. Best. For seven consecutive years, 2010 - 2016, Goodville was also named as one of the top 50 property and casualty companies in the US by the Ward Group. Ward's analyzes the performance of nearly 3000 companies for financial safety, consistency and performance. To receive this recognition, Goodville passed all the performance measures for the last seven years.

Profitable underwriting and prompt, fair claims settlements are of highest priority for Goodville Mutual. The company achieves excellent investment results from social principles investment strategies.

Goodville Mutual is committed to provide comprehensive property and casualty insurance products of the highest quality and to conduct our business by biblical principles of love, justice and integrity.

OUR TIMELINE

1926

Founded as Goodville Mutual in the town of Goodville, Pennsylvania, to write automobile liability insurance

1948

Constructed a new office building in Goodville, Pennsylvania to accommodate steady growth

1952

Began expanding into other states and offering other lines of insurance

1959

Automated business processing systems

1973

Constructed a new office building in New Holland, Pennsylvania to accommodate continued growth

1988

Merged with Earl Mutual to provide farm and mobile home coverage

1996

Merged with three Mennonite related mutual fire insurance companies in Pennsylvania

1997

Led the industry by automating interface with independent agencies

2001

Significantly expanded auto, farm and homeowners premiums by business assumed from a Pennsylvania self insured group

2006

Launched a proprietary online business processing system for agents

2008

Expanded homeowners, farm and commercial premium by assuming business from a Kansas mutual company

2010-2016

Named one of the top 50 companies in the US by the Ward Group

2013

Affiliated with German Mutual Insurance Company, Napoleon, Ohio

2016

Began construction on building addition in New Holland, Pennsylvania to accommodate continued growth