Does a driver with a learner's permit have auto insurance coverage?

August 30, 2017

Do you have a driver in your household with a learner’s permit?  This is an exciting time for the new driver!  This can also be an unsettling time for parents of the new driver.  One thing you shouldn’t have to stress over is auto insurance coverage while your young driver is behind the wheel.

Does a driver with a learner’s permit have auto insurance coverage?

With a Goodville auto policy there is automatic coverage for a driver with a learner’s permit as long as:

  • The driver qualifies as an insured on the policy, i.e. is a member of the insured’s household, and
  • A parent, guardian or in some states a 21 year old licensed driver is required to be with them while driving.

You should report the new driver to your insurance agent right away to verify they are covered in the case of an accident.

What happens when the new driver becomes licensed?

Once the child is at least 16 years of age and licensed, or they are still on a permit and a parent or guardian is not required to be in the vehicle with the permit holder, we will list the child on the parents’ policy as a driver.  This means that we will start charging a premium for the driver on the parents’ policy because they are now a recognized, legal driver.

Call your local agent to get full details on how drivers with learner’s permits can affect your auto insurance coverage.

Also check out the graduated driver licensing (GDL) requirements for your state on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety’s (IIHS) website.  According to the IIHS, all 50 states and the District of Columbia have a GDL system in place, which consists of laws to reduce the crash risk of young drivers by ensuring that teens build up driving experience under lower-risk conditions.

This blog entry is created for informational purposes only.  Any viewpoint or sponsorship of outside parties involved in the blog entry does not necessarily represent Goodville's stance as a company.  The blog should not be used as a substitute for professional advice.